Magnificent Mediterranean tomato sauce
A rustic, creamy tomato sauce. My new favourite sauce, one that I’ve taken to eating with absolutely everything! This is a quick and simply delicious fix with a fruity note. 🙂
Plum tomatoes – 500 g, roughly chopped
Onions – 2, thinly sliced into rings
Garlic – 2 cloves, minced
Juice of half a lime
Red wine – 1 tiny slosh
Salt – ⅓ teaspoon
Low-sugar low-salt ketchup – 1 tablespoon
Erythritol Gold – 1 tablespoon
Dried oregano – a pinch
Fresh basil leaves – a handful, roughly torn
Coarsely ground black pepper – 1-2 teaspoons
Unsweetened almond milk – 50 ml (I use Alpro roasted unsweetened almond milk)
1. Put onions and garlic in a non-stick pan and cook on medium heat with a little water (water being a substitute for oil to stop the onion and garlic from burning/drying out) and squeeze in the lime juice.
2. When the garlic and onions start to brown, add the red wine, and simmer for 2 minutes.
3. Add in the tomatoes with salt and mix together well with the onions and garlic.
4. Keeping the pan simmering on low heat, add in the ketchup, erythritol, oregano, basil and black pepper.
5. Mix in a blender with almond milk to a get a smooth creamy texture.